Morrissey’s Horse Pullmans was established by Frank and Frances Morrissey. Frank emigrated from Tipperary, Ireland in 1924 and Frances came over from Donegal, Ireland the following year. Frank worked with horses and gave children’s riding lessons on an estate in Westchester County. He started a riding stable with partner Gordon Wright in Bronxville, N.Y., where he first met Frances. They opened Lawrence Farms Stables in Mount Kisco, N.Y in 1931. They had two daughters, Margaret and Frances who were both avid show riders. They gave riding lessons and rented out horses for pleasure and hunting. The trucking business evolved out of the necessity to transport client’s horses to local hunts and horse shows. Frank bought his first van in 1941 and manufactured the horse box himself. The term “Pullmans” comes from the Pullman train cars that were first used to transport horses long distances.
The company grew over the years and expanded to include several small vans and a tractor trailer. Daughter Frances met William Breede when he became a part-time driver for Frank in 1958. They were married in 1959 and continued to expand the business. They moved the business to its present location in Pawling, N.Y. in 1969.
Today the third generation of Morrissey’s (granddaughter Marcy and her husband Jim) continue to operate the business. And in keeping with tradition, Marcy and Jim’s son Mike, is keen to continue in the family business, showing a strong interest in his great-grandfathers’ legacy.
Original box truck (1940's) modified to horse van by Frank Morrissey
Margaret, Frances & Francy Morrissey (1955)
"B-Model Mack('62) (photo taken 1976)"
Morrissey's #9 Chevrolet